The Dodge “440 Six Pack” engine was offered from 1969 to 1971. This engine featured three deuces [three two-barrel Holley carburetors] on an Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold, Special performance designed hydraulic camshaft, silenced air filter system, low restriction exhaust system with Hemi mufflers and large dual exhaust outlets. This engine was humbly rated at 390 hp and 490 pounds-feet of torque.
Available as an option, the 440 Six Pack engine’s never had the power of the more expensive 426 HEMI.
700,000 plus 440 engines have been manufactured, making parts and accessories easy to get. FYI: The RB engine size was stamped on a pad at the left front of the engine adjacent to the front tappet rail.
Chrysler wrote this about the 440, in 1978: “The combination of its large displacement, large intake and exhaust valve ports and manifold passages, 4-barrel carburetor and low-restriction exhaust system give the 440 extra power for quick acceleration at all speeds-low, middle, or highway cruising-or for towing large travel trailers. The 440 V-8 features a deep-skirt engine block, rugged cast ductile iron crankshaft and aluminum-on-steel main and connecting-rod bearings for exceptional durability and smooth operation.”
Check out these engine specifications, this is how Mopar described their monster power plant::
* CARBURATORS: 3 HOLLEY 2 BARRELS ,VACUUM END CARBS, 1350 CFM TOTAL
* INTAKE MANIFOLD: EDELBROCK ALUMINUM
* CRANKSHAFT: SAME AS STANDARD 440, SPECIALLY SELECTED AND SHOT PEENED
* PISTON RINGS: 440 MAGNUM STYLE EXCEPT TOP RING IS MOLY FILLED
* CAMSHAFT: SAME AS 440 MAGNUM EXCEPT IT HAS LOW TAPER PROFILE TO RESIST WEAR
* VALVE LIFTERS: SAME AS 440 MAGNUM EXCEPT .0005″ UNDER SIZED AND FLAT FACED
* TIMING CHAIN /SPROCKETS: SAME AS 440 MAGNUM, NYLON SPROCKET -3 BOLT MOUNTING
* ROCKER ARMS:SIMALIAR TO 440 MAGNUM EXCEPT STAMPED FROM HEAVIER GAUGE STEEL
* VALVES: SAME AS 440 MAGNUM EXCEPT CHROMED STEMS
* VALVE SPRINGS/DAMPERS:ALL NEW HIGH LOAD
* DISTRIBUTOR:NEW PART NUMBER,PRESTOLITE,DUAL-BREAKER
* OIL PUMP:SAME AS STREET HEMI
* EXTRAS: CARB SHUTOFF SOLENOID,SPECIAL THOTTLE LINKAGE,COIL BRACKET
* AIR CLEANER: OVAL UNIT WITH SEAL THAT FIT AGAINST FIBERGLASS HOOD FOR FRESH AIR [Source]
There must be a bunch of young people who don’t have any idea what we are speaking of. I suspect the bulk of readers are baby boomer age. The six pack was only offered in the Plymouth Road Runner, Dodge Magnum GT 440, the Dodge Challenger and a few models I’m leaving out. But, you will not find one in any ordinary application.
Rely on GotEngines.com to locate the best used 440 six pack engines available, or perhaps a rebuilt motor fills your needs better. We sell a fair amount of 440 engines. Stock 440 motors were available in many of the trucks and large Mopar automobiles. Let us determine which variant you have, it’s easy and fast if you have your VIN [vehicle identification number]. Call GotEngines.com now and get a free quote.